Before Hiro on Heroes, there was Steve Austin on The Six Million Dollar Man. Before Buffy Summers on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, there was Jaime Sommers on The Bionic Woman.
Now, television's classic wonder people of the 1970s are back and stronger than ever.
Co-billed as the Cybernetic Compendium To TV's Most Realistic Sci-Fi Superhero Shows, The Bionic Book is chock full of commentary culled from Pilato's exclusive interviews with:
• Bionic stars Lee Majors (who played half-superman/half-mechanical marvel Steve Austin)
• Lindsay Wagner (who played Jaime Sommers, Steve's female counter-part and true love)
• Series creator and science fiction novel icon Martin Caidin
• Series Executive Producer Harve Bennett (who would later help to ignite the Star Trek feature film franchise)
• Series Producer/Director Kenneth Johnson (The Incredible Hulk and Alien Nation)
• Actor Richard Anderson, (who portrayed Oscar Goldman, Steve and Jaime's stoic but understanding supervisor on both shows).
Explore in depth the social, psychological, medical, and scientific influences, and the appeal and messages behind two of the most popular and heroic science fiction television programs of all time.
Foreword by Richard Anderson. 400 pages. Illustrated.
Richard Anderson ("Oscar Goldman") with the Bionic Book!
"I don't think anyone ever thought that the novel Cyborg would generate so much activity in the
TV world. For the first time the behind the scenes stories of Cyborg, The Six Million Dollar Man,
and the Bionic Woman are revealed. Pilato exposes the connection of science fiction author
Martin Caaidin and the two shows. He talks about the problems of finding the right actors to
play the roles, the many directors and writers involved with both shows and there are episode
guides for the series and three movies. The author also shows how modern science has used
bionic parts to save many lives. One thing unique is that the Six Million Dollar franchise holds a
record for being one of the few series to have played on three major networks. For any fan of
these series this is a must have book."
- Midwest Book Review
"Herbie J Pilato's 'The Bionic Book' is an exhaustively-researched, remarkable volume that is also one of my all-time favorite pop-culture remembrances. Whether you are a fan of all things Bionic, or simply curious as to the inner-workings of television, this book is a marvel."
- Joel Eisenberg, author/producer/screenwriter/author (The Chronicles of Ara, Joe Lewis biopic)