Character Kings by Scott Voison takes a look at the careers of 15 working actors and reveals the struggles they've endured in order to survive in Hollywood. The candid stories are told by:
- Clancy Brown (SpongeBob SquarePants, Starship Troopers, ER)
- Tobin Bell (Saw I-V, The Firm, The Sopranos, Seinfeld)
- Paul Gleason (The Breakfast Club, Trading Places, Die Hard)
- Art LaFleur (Field of Dreams, The Santa Clause 2 and 3, Cobra)
- Bob Gunton (The Shawshank Redemption, 24, Demolition Man)
- Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator, Cold Case, Star Trek: Enterprise)
- Ray Wise (Reaper, Twin Peaks, RoboCop, L.A. Law)
- Martin Kove (The Karate Kid, Cagney & Lacey, Death Race 2000)
- Keith David (They Live, Platoon, There's Something About Mary)
- Ronny Cox (Beverly Hills Cop, Total Recall, St. Elsewhere)
- James Karen (Wall Street, Poltergeist, Return of the Living Dead)
- Peter Jason (Deadwood, 48 HRS., Mortal Kombat, Roseanne)
- Daniel Roebuck (The Fugitive, Lost, River's Edge, Matlock)
- Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Medium Cool, The Delta Force)
- William Sanderson (Blade Runner, Newhart, Deadwood, Fletch)
Each in-depth conversation features behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the making of popular movies and TV shows, tips on how to prepare for auditions, the acting techniques that bring a character to life, and the secrets to earning a living in a highly competitive industry.
Whether you're a fan of horror films, a film buff, or an aspiring actor, Character Kings offers instructive and insightful lessons about the art and business of acting. Think of the book as Film History An Introduction, cutting-edge stories about Hollywood today, actors, actresses, directors, filmmaking, cinema history, television history, and Old Time Radio history.
"Forget the big names. Scott Voisin's outstanding book tells the story of the true Hollywood stars of today. The guys who are the heart, backbone and guts of the movies."
--- Bob Murawski, film editor, Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3, Drag Me to Hell
"Character actors have always been the backbone of the film and TV industry. Now you can learn who some of the best are and what they've done. A great read and excellent permanent reference."
--- Samuel M. Sherman, Independent-International Pictures Corp.
"Remarkably candid conversations with some of Hollywood's most familiar faces. Scott Voisin has compiled a fascinating read for film fans and an invaluable textbook for aspiring actors."
--- Joe Kane, The Phantom of the Movies' VideoScope
"These are the unsung heroes of cinema! They're the actors who, in many cases, make these films memorable. It's great to collectively read about their fascinating careers directly from the source."
--- George Reis, DVDDrive-In.com
"These interviews should be inspiring to everyone who takes their creative life seriously."
--- Movies Made Me (Joseph Maddrey)