Buck Rogersin the 25th Century(1979-1981) premiered on American television in September 1979. The storyfollowed a twentieth century astronaut revived after 500 years of suspendedanimation to become Earth’s greatest hero. Created by Glen A. Larson and LeslieStevens, the new series starred Gil Gerard, Erin Gray, and Felix Silla.
Gerard lookedto the past to prepare for his future production. As Executive Producer ofanother science fiction series, Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979), theearly cancellation of the failed series left him with a quasar of props,costumes, sets, special effects film footage, and even a rejected modelspacecraft designed by Ralph McQuarrie.
He hit on theidea of recycling the artifacts into a less showy series that premiered to thedelight of audiences. Viewers thrilled to a seemingly endless parade of notableguest stars, such as Henry Silva, Joseph Wiseman, Jack Palance, Roddy McDowall,John P. Ryan, Richard Lynch, Cesar Romero, Frank Gorshin, Julie Newmar, JamieLee Curtis, Vera Miles, Sam Jaffe, William Smith, Sid Haig, Jerry Orbach,Richard Moll, Ray Walston, Gary Coleman, Amanda Wyss, and Mary Woronov.
Join Buck andthe galaxy’s most beautiful women in a richly researched work that soars atlight speed beyond other Buck Rogers books with:
• Foreword by actress Erin Gray
• A complete episode guide
• Interviews with the full regular cast andcrew
• Actors that portrayed characters such asThe Space Vampire, The War Witch, and The Satyr tell all about working on theseries.
Discover anever before explored nebula of back stories:
• How a nervous film student with nocredits wound up directing an episode
• Which future US President was a friend ofGil Gerard and hosted the premiere
• Which Buck Rogers guest star was murderedand immediately played in a TV movie by another BUCK ROGERS guest?
• Why Buck Rogers went to war with his ownshow's writers
• Which Buck Rogers guest became a directorand discovered Julia Roberts
• Why Dr. Theopolis and nuclear hellholeAnarchia were cut from the show
• How Sid Haig appeared in four episodes,even though he died in the first two
PatrickJankiewicz is the author of You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: A HulkCompanion, and Just When You Thought It Was Safe: A Jaws Companion
Review at Book Pleasures